Monday, May 9, 2011

Opposite ends of the nutrition spectrum...

For Christmas this year Dano's parents got me an awesome new cookbook, The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.  So far I have only tried a couple recipes, but I have not been disappointed!  Last week I decided to make the Norwegian Cream Tarts and I'll just say that after my first bite I said aloud alone in my kitchen "I can't believe I made this!".  And proceeded to eat another one!  The recipe calls for 18 heart shaped tart pans (which I obviously do not own) so I decided to attempt to make them in a muffin pan.  I've learned that if you want to be a frugal baker you have to be creative from time to time!  Also to measure out the shapes I tried a couple of our glasses and eventually found two that worked perfectly. 
The pint glass made a great bottom piece and the smaller glass I used to make tops for all the tarts.  At first I thought I had done something wrong because my filling was a liquid.... but it cooked into a delicious pastry cream in the oven!
It was like a sweet, buttery pie crust with pastry cream inside.... heaven! 

But I figured since I haven't posted a very healthy recipe in a while that I would pass along this really great one!  Its for kale chips but you can pretty much use any hearty leafy green.  I used rainbow chard since we had a ton of it. 
All you have to do is chop it a little bit, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.  Then bake them and watch very carefully!  They don't quite cook evenly so I watch for ones crisping up and take those off and put the pan back in. 
They aren't pretty..... but they are very good for you!  Feel free to experiment with toppings too--this time I used Vulcan Fire Salt that I picked up last time I was in Chicago (it is so good on eggs!) and I loved it. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment