Sunday, May 15, 2011

big move today!

Well, for those who don't know I got a job for the summer working as an interpreter in the Redwood National & State parks.  Since the parks are over an hour away (and gas is fast approaching $5/gallon), I agreed to move into seasonal housing... aka, "the cabin."  I went to see it a couple weeks ago and it's.... small.  The bathroom is outside.  And there is no phone/cell phone service, internet, tv-- so the blog might slow down a bit the next couple months!  I start training on Monday so I am heading up this weekend. 
But in preparation for no doubt having a lot less time to bake and leaving Dano to his own kitchen devices (scary!).  I filled up our freezer with goodies!  As I've said before, this is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (although I always add an extra 1/4 cup of flour and chill the dough before baking).  I made a double batch of the recipe, scooped it into balls, and froze them!
 After a night in the freezer, I moved them to containers.   
Now when I am gone if Dano misses my chocolate chip cookies, he can just preheat the oven,  pop a couple of these on a pan, and then... ta-da!  Cookies!

Also, this might be a shock to many women out there but... I'm not a huge fan of cheesecake.  I make a cheesecake and then have a piece or two and that fills my quota for a month or two.  So, the last couple times I've made cheesecake after a day or two of having it for dessert, I slice it into individual portions, and put that in the freezer as well.  Its perfect for when you randomly crave sweets and then you have a frosty piece of cheesecake ready!

Let me think.... I also made cinnamon rolls which freeze very nicely with the frosting in a separate container (Dano and I heated some up yesterday and he swears they are my best yet!  I'll post a blog on those soon!).  A homemade pizza crust is also plastic wrapped in the freezer and.... I think that is it!  Just thought I would post some ways to preserve your baked goodies.  Freezing things for later really helps us save time when we are busy and from having way too many sweets sitting around!   Having cheesecake in the freezer is for some reason not quite as tempting as one sitting on the counter that I have to look at everyday ;)

3 comments:

  1. You're such a good girlfriend

    H

    ReplyDelete
  2. What chocolate chip cookie recipe do you use? Looks good! So thoughtful of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized I have been "linking" all my recipes in the same color font as the rest of the post... pretty hard to find! Sorry! Now, everything in orange you can click and it will link you to the recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete