Sunday, February 26, 2012

kale smoothies and flaxseed kicks

Lately Dano and I have been trying a little bit harder to eat healthy.  A lot of people associate healthy eating with eating less, but we are trying to eat more!  More beans, nuts, grains, etc... And with that we have been trying to make these smoothies a couple times a week along with a fried egg and toast-it's a pretty complete breakfast!

The original recipe to give me the idea is on the Joy the Baker blog

I like to make it however with...
Makes 2 servings:
about 8 frozen blackberries
1 banana
handful of kale
handful of spinach
1/4-1/2 c vanilla unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed
Lately too I have started throwing in some frozen shelled edamame for protein which is pretty good too!

(It's hard to take an appetizing picture of a kale smoothie...)

I've also been making my own granola and taking a small container of it with an added sprinkle of ground flaxseed to work with some vanilla greek yogurt!  I use this recipe, but majorly scaled down.

Mine turns out to be about:
2 1/2 c oats
3/4 c chopped almonds
1/4 c pumpkin seeds
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c maple syrup
drizzle of agave nectar
1/8 t sea salt
1 t vanilla
1/2-3/4 c raisins

It's a lot of ingredients and I am lucky to live in hippie-ville and can easily find all these things at an affordable rate with bulk bins at the co-op.   But the plus side of this recipe is that it is healthy and once you have everything it is very easy to make!  The original recipe also calls for rice syrup which I could not find... so I just kind of left it out and added a little more oil and some agave nectar. 
About once a week I grind flaxseed in my blender and keep it in the fridge... then I add it to my granola for lunch and my smoothies! 
Yep, I bought honey just so I could have this bear jar...

Hope you give some of these a try!  

No comments:

Post a Comment