Saturday, April 23, 2011

benissimo!

If there is one cuisine that I think everyone likes it is Italian!  And as a cheese-o-holic, ravioli is one of my favorite foods.  Naturally I've been thinking about making it from scratch for a long time and surprisingly it was much easier then I anticipated--I wish I had done it sooner!  Sometimes making things from scratch can be daunting because you think... well if everyone I know buys it packaged then it must be hard to make.  But I have found that to be incorrect about a lot of recipes I've tried!  Obviously not something I would try on a weeknight after work but a fun weekend afternoon project...

I used a pasta recipe from Allrecipes but made my own filling by beating together part skim ricotta cheese, an egg, shredded Parmesan, herbs, spinach, minced garlic, and some salt. After I made the dough and the filling I followed this article on Allrecipes for the filling steps.
I had a smaller and bigger circle cutter from cake decorating that I used to shape and cut the pasta.  My back up plan was a shot glass and another drinking glass.  I used a fork around the edges to ensure they were sealed, but it was hard to keep the filling neat so a lot of ricotta was on the outside--it needs to look homemade too right?!
Boiling the pasta until it floated went really quick and then it was eating time!
It tasted... so. good.  I wish I had been able to make the pasta sheets thinner but that might require an investment in a pasta machine so this is good enough for now!  I only wanted to make enough for the two of us so the next day I used the leftover pasta dough and rolled out sheets to make a lasagna.  I usually don't eat very much pasta but this week we ate it a lot and I think Dano was in heaven!

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! We should make that next time you come home!

    H

    ReplyDelete