Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Worth all the onion tears...

For my very first blog post I thought I would start with a Julia Child classic--french onion soup!  I scaled mine back a little (just for two, plus leftovers!) and added a few tweaks.  I'm terrible at measuring and following recipes so some of these are estimates....

about 3 c thinly sliced yellow onions
2 T butter
1/2 T olive oil
1 t salt
1/2 t sugar
1 1/2 T flour
1 qt vegetable broth
1/4 c dry white vermouth
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
round of bread
shredded gruyere cheese

To start!
Sloooowly cooking up the onions.  15 minutes in the butter and oil, covered on low heat.  Then move up to medium, add salt and sugar, and cook for about 25 minutes until evenly golden brown (and smelling like heaven!).  Stir in flour and remove from heat.  Throw on the vermouth and scrape the pan into a saucepan with the vegetable broth.  Simmer 30-40 minutes with bay leaf and check for seasoning.  To finish I toasted a round slice of bread covered in cheese in the broiler, plopped it on top, and added a little more cheese! 
It was so yummy that I could not stop "tasting for seasoning" while it was simmering and waiting for Dan to get home from work!  This recipe is overall pretty simple but you definitely have to be patient while the onions are cooking---do not just turn up the heat to cook them quicker because it will be a whole different flavor!

Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love french onion soup! I'll definitely have to try this recipe.

    PS. I love this blog Tara! I'll definitely be checking it out often :)

    ReplyDelete