Thursday, September 15, 2011

a great food week...

This week I stopped in at Grocery Outlet (for non-west coasters, it's a great way to get super cheap food) and saw a big bag of poblano peppers... probably 5 or 6 in the bag for a $1.99!

I made stuffed peppers by first charring the peppers on the broiler.  Then I used some quinoa already cooked in the fridge, sauteed some veggies (red pepper, onion, zucchini), and a half can of pinto beans.  I mixed up the filling in the saute pan and added chili powder and salt.  Then slit open the peppers (careful, they will be hot!) and fill!  I topped the filled peppers with some slices of garlic chili cheddar cheese and cooked them (the oven was still hot from the broiler).

Also this week I decided to finally attempt to make Challah bread.  I've made many bread types before but this one has always been floating in the back of my mind since I was told it makes the BEST french toast (I love carbs for breakfast ;) ).  Bread is tricky.... I always get nervous before trying a new bread recipe!  I don't recommend attempting it without a food thermometer.  I used this recipe and it turned out great....



And yes, the french toast Wednesday morning was the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment